Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students -Blueprint Money Mastery
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:09:36
A Southern California school district has agreed to pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit by the family of an eighth grade boy who died after being assaulted by two other students at a middle school four years ago.
The settlement with the Moreno Valley Unified School District was announced Wednesday by lawyers for relatives of 13-year-old Diego Stolz, who was sucker-punched at Landmark Middle School in September 2019.
One of the teens struck the teenager in the head from behind and he fell, hitting his head against a pillar. The teens then continued punching Stolz, who died nine days later from a brain injury. The attack was recorded on video.
Dave Ring, an attorney for the Stolz family, said the family told the school that their nephew had been bullied and punched on several occasions, CBS Los Angeles reported. The administration promised the family the bullies would be suspended from the school if nothing happened, the station reported.
Moreno Valley Unified pays family $27 million for the death of Diego Stolz https://t.co/BpffD8U0M4
— KCAL News (@kcalnews) September 14, 2023
"The Friday before Diego was killed, Diego and his adult sister went and met with the assistant principal," said Ring. "They never did anything. They just put it at the bottom of their stack and said we'll deal with it later."
Ring said the boy's death would have been preventable if there was an anti-bullying policy in place at the school about 65 miles east of Los Angeles.
"Schools need to realize that bullying can never be tolerated and that any complaints of bullying and assault must be taken seriously," Ring said in a news release.
School officials will not be commenting on the settlement, district spokesperson Anahi Velasco said in an email Wednesday. The district said previously that it changed its bullying reporting system and its training for employees. Also the school's principal and vice principal were replaced.
The family also inspired a new piece of legislation authored by Eloise Reyes Gomez, which allows legal guardians to bring civil action in wrongful death cases, CBS Los Angeles reported.
The assailants, who were 14 at the time of the attack, entered the equivalent of guilty pleas in juvenile court to involuntary manslaughter and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.
The teens spent 47 days in juvenile custody. A judge declined to sentence them to more jail time, but ordered that they undergo anger management therapy.
- In:
- Lawsuit
- California
- Bullying
veryGood! (8633)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Blinken visits Ukraine to tout US support for Kyiv’s fight against Russia’s advances
- Halle Berry's boyfriend Van Hunt posts NSFW photo of the actress in Mother's Day tribute
- Tom Brady's NFL broadcast debut as Fox analyst will be Cowboys vs. Browns in Week 1
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Harris utters a profanity in advice to young Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders
- 2 injured loggerhead turtles triumphantly crawl into the Atlantic after rehabbing in Florida
- Assistant school principal among 4 arrested in cold case triple murder mystery in Georgia
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Jake Paul the villain? Boxer discusses meeting Mike Tyson face to face before their fight
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Travis Barker’s Extravagant Mother’s Day Gift to Kourtney Kardashian Is No Small Thing
- Key Bridge controlled demolition postponed due to weather
- What is the safest laundry detergent? A guide to eco-friendly, non-toxic washing.
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Maine to spend $25 million to rebuild waterfront after devastating winter storms and flooding
- Bindi Irwin Shares How Daughter Grace Reminds Her of Late Dad Steve Irwin
- The Nebraska GOP is rejecting all Republican congressional incumbents in Tuesday’s primary election
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Caitlin Clark's WNBA regular-season debut has arrived. Here's how to take it all in.
How a group of veterans helped a U.S. service member's mother get out of war-torn Gaza
Patients face longer trips, less access to health care after Walmart shuts clinics
Could your smelly farts help science?
Diver exploring World War II-era shipwreck off Florida goes missing
McDonald’s is focused on affordability. What we know after reports of $5 meal deals.
Noah Cyrus Shares Message to Mom Tish Amid Family Rift Rumors